Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nostalgia...and finding old blogs

Well, yesterday's comment on Amulet of Samarkand prompted me to try finding one of my old blogs...and I was successful too. And I was impressed. The me of yesteryear was really quite a ways better writer than the me of today. Read this for yourself and confirm it!

Poetry...mostly!

Hmm, Nothing particularly eventful happened today. But I have this sort of urge to post something...so why not rummage through some memories of schooling?
This is about a poem which we were subjected to in 12th Standard. Its title was "Gerontium" (I think). As a poem, I don't really recall much about it, except that there was a line about Jews...and this truly memorable verse which had "Christ on a tiger...and The word within a word, unable to speak a word".

I could never pretend to be a big fan of poetry. Considering my favourite poems till then were "Ulysses" (Tennyson), and "Elegy on the death of a mad dog" (I dont remember the author), its not hard to see that poetry was not my strong suit. But when I read Eliots gyan, and heard my teacher trying to twist it into something that could fit it into a 10 mark answer, any spark of poetic appreciation that had lingered decided that the odds were just too tough and blew itself out!
I shall not subject you to "The broken tower", and others of its ilk. Needless to say, I never did enjoy English Poetry class in 11th and 12th too much!

I believe that the least the dashed things can do is rhyme. So, if I choose to inflict "poetry" on you, poor reader, know this. At least it will rhyme!

p.s: There is another time when this classmate of mine set anothers pant on fire (mostly accidental)...but we can save that for a really slow day.

No comments: