Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Speaking Hindi in Chennai

Yesterday, I had the somewhat surreal experience of engaging in a half an hour long conversation with a fellow bus passenger in Hindi.
That does not sound so surreal, you, casual reader might say. But let me assure you, Chennai is many things. Its large, Its hot, Its usually friendly. But one thing it does not have in abundance is a Hindi speaking populance. And secondly, the contents of the conversation.
But I get ahead of myself. The man himself was from UP, and has lived in Chennai for some years. His son is an MBA working with Accenture.
Following this brief intro, he then launched into socio-political analysis of the current societal situation in India and the growing inequality. After a side trip into Chinese competencies and a brief discussion on the north-south divide that afflicts the chinese economies, we then started discussing the dog menace in Bangalore. In between there were snippets about the various problems facing the agricultural sector, and the plight of rural farmers in Maharashtra.
Now, for those who know me well, you will know that my skills in Hindi only extend to singing Old Kishore Kumar songs badly...but one way or the other, i managed to speak in Hindi for a good half hour, though it took me several seconds to come up with खेती and i dearly hope that the hindi equivalent for productivity is प्रौध्योदिक capability!
Well, that is all for my first post. More details of my life and times continue!

1 comment:

Tinky Toinkers said...

you actually said प्रौध्योदिक ?
i bow down to thee oh great one... may i remember complex words like that in times of need.
cheers~
uma